Monday, May 10, 2010

BP Oil Company Insight



I am utterly dumbfounded with the information that has risen these past weeks. It all began with the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Since I have been working for British Petroleum (BP Oil Company) I am aware of the economic effects our nation is and will be facing. It is reasonable that the law passed in response to the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill will make this company responsible for clean-up costs. However, having a limit set at $75 million and then because of this unfortunate oil spill raised to $10 billion on damages is outrageous. These large amounts of money helped me become conscious of how costly this will be compared to a natural disaster. Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans was devastating but the oil spill is capable to do more damage and it has already begun to do so. It is because it will not take years to clean-up but decades! It has affected everyone from animals and wildlife to humans and lifestyles.


In fact, my best friend and roommate has been terribly affected by this devastating oil spill. He was let go at his job of three years as a manager of a hotel. No one would have imagined that since tourism was very popular here due to the beaches. As to be expected, no one wants to visit these contaminated beaches now. For the company it is of great worry and urgency to have a solution, having so many millions of gallons spilled into the Gulf daily. To be exact 200,000 gallons spilled and at least another million gallons to be spilled.


Paying rent has become challenging because I no longer have the economic support from my roommate and with these sky rocketing costs for food my financial status is in the negatives. For now I hardly have money to spend for my actual necessities. This time of day, I must be serene and understandable with everyone including my self. I will not let this oil spill and oil shortage get in the way my friendship between my roommate. For now my salary is enough to support both but I truly do not know how long this will go for. I need and must keep positive!

Source: BP.com

Source: thebsreport

No comments:

Post a Comment